The following posts are epilogue of our Iceland and Greenland travel.  They should have been written and posted a month ago, after 18 June 2013.  Anyway, it is always excellent to think again your latest travel when the fine details are still vivid.

We will publish these travelogues with photos in a forthcoming book later this year.


Day 19, 16 June 2013: Reykjavik

On 16 June after taking a light breakfast at the guesthouse, we set off to scroll the city centre. It was cloudy with drizzle but that was just perfect for a shopping day. We haven’t bought any souvenirs for friends and family so we decided to use our last day in Iceland for shopping.  Although it was Sunday, souvenir shops and restaurants on the two main shopping streets, Laugavegur and Skolavordustigur, were open for business. We bought a bottle of volcano ash (ISK1050) and a lava rock (ISK850) for our two little nephews, and some fridge magnets for friends in a large bookstore. You can get a glimpse of the city life from the number of bookstores available. We also tried a lobster soup in a local restaurant. It was not bad in taste but we would not consider it fabulous. The worst thing was that we waited for almost an hour before the waiter told us our order was mixed up.

We toured the farthest to the church called Skolavorduholt. Many churches in Iceland are unique in design and the annexes of this one are like the pipes of an organ. It is located at the intersections of several roads and can be seen from a distance. The old city centre of Reykjavik is well preserved, with colourful traditional houses everywhere. However, today’s miserable weather has made the city gloomy and melancholic!

That was almost the end of our holiday. We had a 7.20am flight the following day so we decided to call it a day and headed back to our guesthouse to pack up our bags.


Day 20, 17 June 2013: Flying back home

We woke up at 3.30am to catch the Flybus at 4pm to the airport. It did not feel like 3.30am because of the bright sky. Like last time, we had to change to a bigger bus at the bus terminal in the city centre. The large bus was nearly full. It was inside the airport we finally found a shop selling lobster soup in cans. We bought a few cans. We suspected most of the seafood soup we had in Iceland during this trip was canned soup so we thought the best way to find out what it tastes like would be to do a taste test ourselves.

A few hours later we were at Helsinki. We waited for 8 hours for our connecting flight to Hong Kong. During this time, we used the free unlimited WiFi in the airport, had a simple lunch and a salmon soup for dinner. The salmon soup at Helsinki airport brought back good memory. Last time we had a salmon soup at this airport 12 years ago after we spent a month in Helsinki because Wing was very sick and had an operation in the Helsinki university hospital. In this trip, we have tried some other fish (such as cod), but salmon is still one of the best.

A camera shop was selling the Leica X2 and the Summicron-M 50 mm f/2.0.  The prices were quite reasonable indeed. But I am a Leica M9 user. There was no reason to justify for purchasing a Leica X2. A camera is a tool to capture the moments of truth, and I’ve found M9 is a perfect travel camera in many occasions.

The Finnair flight to Hong Kong was another smooth one and we arrived at Hong Kong on time to face the heat.


%d bloggers like this: